CTP5 & Ajax Popup

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Great start up project, by the way. What are your plans on CTP5 and AjaxPopup upgrade?

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 4:08 AM

I'll continue work on the project next week as I currently have some other very important stuff do deal with.

I'll upgrade to CTP5 first thing. I don't know if you saw, but there is a CTP4 version and a guide how to switch to it in the Documentation section.

AjaxPopup is definitely planned. It will be a separate project in the solution as my plan is to have a basic, a window popup and an ajax popup starting kits.

At the moment (as I said I'll continue next week) I'm implementing OpenID provider buttons. I'll have them working soon in ASPX view engine, but Razor will take a bit longer as it's incompatible with DotNetOpenAuth.MVC HtmlHelper extensions (goo.gl/OaAGE).

Goran

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Right.

Couple of notes:

1. I just think it might be simpler to use a jQuery OpenID plugin that simply fills in the url depending on the image you click on. No need for any server-side implementation and this way you have one solution for all server-side code instead of writing helper classes for different view engines.
  2. Have you looked at the MVC2 template from the extensions gallery created by the DotNepOpenAuth creator? It has an OpenID (WebForms) implementation. They have much more code including a seperate class library that they use. Just wondering why they have that much more code than you to do for a similar functionality. I think they may be doing much more security checking. My personal suggestion would be to rework that template into Razor/CTP5. Your comments are appreciated in this regard.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Thanks for the notes gsogol.

1. HtmlHelper extensions I mentioned were written by the DotNetOpenAuth creator. Their spit out a lot of html, js and css code for just the functionality you mentioned (not sure if jQuery is used). These js and css's are actually embedded resources from DotNetOpenAuth. For now I'll play a bit with this, but if it won't get updated to support Razor I'll implement my own jQuery version.

2. I did look at the template. And I know they have loads more code. I not entirely sure what it does yet, but alongside DotNetOpenAuth MVC Relying Party sample and NerdDinner, it's my 3rd go-to project when I develop MvcOpenID. Besides OAuth and InfoCard, which my project doesn't have, they probably have ajax and windows popup support. This is not really what I'm trying to do. I want to make separate templates (basic, window popup and ajax) which will be used just as the ASP.NET MVC application template (the non-empty one). The goal is to have as little code as possible to enable openid, but in a way that you don't have to bother with it if you don't want to. And with clearly marked places where to put user registration and lots of comments in the code. The reason I'm doing it this way is because even though there are a lot of samples and guides, there is not one easy way to learn openid. At least that was my experiance. But I will look into this more soon (as I said I'm really busy this week).

I will put up a sample site on my server and enable UserVoice for suggestion what you guys want to have. So stick around :)

Goran

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Great project, Goran! I'm looking for some Razor support and EF 4 CTP 5. Thank you very much.

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Thank you xuanvu :)

I'm just now trying to update the project to EF4 CTP5 and ASP.NET MVC 3 RC2 to keep it up to date.

I'm also addin a jQuery selector plugin to the login page.

A new version should be up sometime tomorrow (GMT +1). Then I'll try to upload a demo to my server and get UserVoice going as I mentioned before.

Goran

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Goran, regarding the other tables from the MVC2 DotNetOpenAuth tamplate, I asked Andrew about it below. There's a lot of extra stuff that he's got. Check it out:

http://groups.google.com/group/dotnetopenid/browse_thread/thread/1cbe8977565b3634

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Cool discussion gsogol. I'll look into that as it sounds like some extra security and also it might speed things up. Thanks.

Also you might have noticed I've commited new version today. It now runs on ASP.NET MVC3 RC2. This mostly affected Razor views as View has been renamed to ViewBag. The code-first has also been updated to CTP5. I haven't yet dug into the details of CTP5 so it's just been updated to work with it. But I will add new functionality soon.

Goran